Achieve Your Success

Boost Business Sales and Become the Person You Want to Be! For More information go to http://www.terrybrock.com

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Switching from Windows to Mac---My Story

Making The Switch:

Why (And How) I Switched Over To Mac From Windows

By Terry L. Brock

Well, I did it. Yep! This long-time Windows user made the move to “The Dark Side of the Force” yesterday when I cracked open the relatively small box which arrived at my condo. It was packed with my new baby---weighing in at 5.4 pounds---- my new MacBook Pro.

As I share my story with you, think about what has happened in the industry and the major shift that is going on now. This story is not about me, but about what a company, Microsoft has done and what another company, Apple has done. One was once considered all-too-powerful and was derided throughout not only the computer industry, but elsewhere. Even the US Government waged a war against Microsoft for being “too competitive.”

The Free Market always wins in the long run.

But I digress. Here’s what has happened to me and these two companies. You can benefit from this in your own experience and looking at business in general.

For years I have used Windows machines. I make my living speaking about marketing and technology. Windows has been my system of choice since we had to deal with DOS. Hey, I even used CP/M machines at one point (yes, I know that is dating me). I even had a bad experience with Mac several years ago. The service I received from Apple was terrible. The product didn’t work for me and I got completely frustrated losing over$8,000.

I was a contented, happy Windows user for a long time. Even as I type this article I’m using my wonderful Dell XPS Gen 2 system. I would have purchased the new Dell M1330 but too many bad things are involved. Things have changed with computers. What happened? A series of things pushed me over the edge. Here’s my story.

Vista hits the market. I was looking forward to Microsoft’s new OS, Vista. I had a nice tour of the yet-to-be-released Vista from Microsoft almost a year ago. The MS rep demonstrated some nice features for large companies and Enterprise Computing (you hear this term with large corporations a lot). However, I didn’t see the benefit for my small business.

I read numerous articles and had personal experience with several really smart tech people who complained about Vista. “If they couldn’t figure it out, who am I as a mere mortal, to venture into Vista?” I thought to myself. “Perhaps Microsoft will fix it with a new release soon,” I hoped.

However, even as of this writing---about a year into Vista--- it still hasn’t generated a lot of enthusiastic support. Microsoft seems to have stumbled and is not providing the quality that it once did. A recent inquiry into Microsoft’s help desk gave hours of frustration talking to several people in India who didn’t understand what I did. They could only reference a manual and repeat what was in the manual---not think for themselves to solve the problem. Apple, on the other hand, is coming out with innovative, new and even (here’s an important term) fun stuff to use.

Leopard from Apple was released recently. I read report after article after Blog entry about how good it is. The features that are packed into it sound very good.

I do a lot of video and audio work. Mac is known for being a leader in video and audio software. Just go into most professional studios and you’ll see lots of Macs. In some, if you raise the issue of Windows you’ll receive a tongue-lashing about the evils of Microsoft from a group of loyal Mac enthusiasts. These people didn’t get this way using an Operating System they hated.

The clincher for me was the vast number of people who said they “love” their Mac (yes, that is the word they use). Over and over I’d hear Mac users talk about how they “love” their Mac, how it is easy (they use that word a lot also) and how much they enjoy it. I have yet to hear one person say that he or she “loves” Vista. At best, their response, even if slightly positive, is subdued and polite.

However, it is not over. I have to get more familiar with my new Mac. I was fiddling with my new baby last night and noticed I didn’t know how to get two programs running at the same time (for instace, Pages and Final Cut). I’m sure there is a way but this is one of many little questions I’ll have. I know I’ll figure it out eventually.

Microsoft seems to have stumbled. Apple continues to do a lot of things right. As I see where I am and how Apple has now broken through the 11% market share (and rising) position in PC Sales I have to smile thinking of people who said Microsoft would always be a monopoly. The Free Market has a way of moving participants in and out. No one is secure forever. Standard Oil was displaced by others. The Philco Radio doesn’t exist (most don’t even remember it today). General Motors is on the ropes and in no way dominating the market. The ill-informed feel that government needs to stop these so-called monopolies. Instead, the Free Market and better products vanquish the all-too-big who often get all-too-complacent.

The moral of the story? If you are a small business fighting a seemingly-entrenched competitor, remember that no one has a lock forever on the market. You can find and serve a niche that your big competitor is ignoring. You can outserve your customers when Big Competitor tries to stop you. You can out-innovate Big Competitor as they get too involved in corporate politics, too many committees and all the “stuff” of being so big. You and I are small, nimble and fast. We can turn on a dime. We can enjoy a better lifestyle. We can also make more money!

Well, enough of my sharing for now. I’m going back to play with my new baby. He looks so cute in those fonts….

---

Terry Brock is an international marketing coach and columnist who helps businesses market more effectively, leveraging technology. He shows busy professionals how to squeeze more out of their days using time-honored rules and practical technology tools. He can be reached at 407-363-0505, by e-mail at terry@terrybrock.com or through his website at www.terrybrock.com.

Copyright © 2007, Terry Brock, All Rights Reserved Internationally. No portion may be reprinted or used without prior written permission..